Be a part of GenerationOne!
Did either of your parents or guardians complete a bachelor's (4-year or higher) degree at any college or university? If not, then YOU are a first-generation student! As a First-Generation student, the GenerationOne Living Learning Community at Virginia Tech is a place where you can share the unique triumphs and challenges of navigating college life with your first-generation peers.
Currently located in Pritchard Hall (new location of the renovated Slusher Tower starting Fall 2024), this welcoming community is open to all first-generation students. This community features programming and a course that celebrates the first-gen identity. We aim to create community, promote lifelong learning, welcome diverse ideas, instill values, and cultivate a strong academic identity.
- Uniting students around the shared identity of being a first-generation college student
- Connecting students to an in-residence professional and student staff who share these interests and are committed to engaging students and developing sustained relationships with them
- Connecting an academic and social community that functions as a multidimensional support network for students
- Connecting students with programs and people that will support their success at Virginia Tech
- A dedicated peer mentor to help you navigate your first year of college
- Student success workshops and ambassadors to develop a student success plan and help you sharpen your academic success skills
- Increase your social and academic confidence
- Participation in community service that engages you with the campus and local community
- Gain practical advice, encouragement, and support
- Must be a first-generation college student
- All GenerationOne first-year students are expected to enroll in a one credit hour course in their first semester. This course will focus on Academic Engagement, Understanding Research, and Self-Authorship to support first-year GenerationOne students in taking ownership of their Virginia Tech experience. Please ask your academic advisor for help with registering for this course during advising & registration.