Each year about 1,000 transfer students enroll at Virginia Tech. Approximately 20 percent of each graduating class of Hokies began their journey as transfers.
Though they may come from a variety of different backgrounds, Transfer Experience gives its members an instant peer network of others who also have some post-secondary education and are transitioning to Virginia Tech. They will all be figuring out how to become Hokies -- together! As with other Virginia Tech living-learning communities, faculty involvement and shared governance will play a major role in shaping Transfer Experience.
- Living with and among other transfer students in an on-campus community.
- Academic support services and campus resources hosted on-site.
- Engaging events and activities designed specifically for transfer students.
- Opportunities for leadership development.
- Enroll in an exclusively transfer student course designed to promote academic excellence and community through self-reflection and connection to campus resources. Essentially, this course is designed to help you get the most out of your time as a Hokie!
- Gain a valuable perspective on college life through peer mentoring from fellow transfer students.
It is important for applicants to understand that being a part of Transfer Experience is more than just living in a residence hall with fellow transfers. Below are the ways in which students are required to engage in the community:
- All members of Transfer Experience will be required to take the 1-credit transition course UNIV 2114: Unleash Your HokiePotential during the fall semester.
- Participate in community activities that focus on academic and professional development, as well as community-building social and service-learning events.
- Participate in the LLC Pod Program, a mentoring program that pairs returning LLC members with incoming community members. The program lasts the first few weeks of the fall semester.
- Returning Transfer Experience Members:
- Returning students who have not previously lived in Transfer Experience are required to take UNIV 2114 in their first semester in the LLC.
- Students returning for their 2nd+ year in Transfer Experience will be required to act as Pod Leaders for incoming community members. This includes acting as a resource for new LLC members and leading small group events for the first few weeks of the fall semester.
Please give these requirements careful consideration before applying to Transfer Experience to ensure that this on-campus experience will be a good fit for you.
Transfer Experience is a partnership between Student Affairs, the Student Success Center, Undergraduate Academic Affairs’ Student Success Initiatives, Undergraduate Admissions, Pamplin College of Business’ Undergraduate Programs, and the College of Engineering’s Department of Engineering Education.
Housing contracts in Transfer Experience are for the full academic year. Therefore, beds in Transfer Experience may not be available for new spring transfers. On-campus housing opportunities for incoming spring transfers varies based on availability. Spring transfers are encouraged to place their name on the housing waitlist via StarRez. Spring transfers can also email email@example.com inquire about availability in Transfer Experience.
Transfer Experience is located in Newman Hall.
Transfer Experience living-learning community is specifically designed to meet the needs of students who transfer to Virginia Tech from a community college or another four-year institution. Transfer Experience creates an environment where they can live with and among other transfer students and will provide connections to a variety of campus resources. Throughout the year, activities, events, and programs designed in collaboration with community members will assist transfer students in navigating a new environment and meeting the goals they have for the coming academic year.
Connect with us!
For additional information, please contact Program Director, Allison Silknetter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.