Friendships. Fun. Family.
Thrive is a community that welcomes students of all majors and all years to live and learn together. We’re a group of people with diverse perspectives, experiences, interests, and talents.
Students in Thrive are not expected to enroll in academic classes together, so we get together regularly in other ways:
- Community Gatherings each week are a great opportunity to build friendships, learn, and have fun together: s’mores and outdoor games nights, movie and hot chocolate nights, creative and artistic activities (like sidewalk chalk and canvas painting), workshops about our top 5 CliftonStrengths, speakers from around campus, gorgeous hikes off campus, and more.
- Family Dinners at D2 every other week allow us time to catch up with each other over a great meal.
- Other activities and events, both on and off campus, that help us to create memories and experience more – like going to the downtown farmer’s market on the weekend, or to Benny’s for pizza; walking on the Huckleberry Trail together; visiting the drone park on campus; playing video and board games; and enjoying the sunset from the Pylons.
- Peer mentoring: Every first-year student is paired with a peer mentor – someone who remembers what it was like to be a new student and who wants to provide support throughout the year.
We live on the top floor of Pritchard Hall, where we have our own lounge exclusive to our community. It’s a space with tables and couches that are great for socializing and studying.
And, we offer leadership opportunities! Students who return to Thrive in their second year (or beyond) can apply to serve as peer mentors or activity and event coordinators in the community. It’s a fantastic way to stay involved and to give back.
Thrive is open to all undergraduate students, of all majors! We might be the place for you if:
- You want to have the traditional college experience AND be part of a smaller community that will support you
- You want to have new experiences outside of your college classes
- You’re interested in learning more about what makes you so awesome – your top 5 CliftonStrengths
Thrive offers all undergraduate students (all majors and all years) a home to find friends, feel supported, and have fun together while learning more about themselves, what it means to be a student at VT, and opportunities both on and off campus.
We’re a little bit different in that our students have the freedom to have the “traditional college experience” while also being part of a smaller community that feels like family.
Thrive is intentionally designed to be an inclusive community that welcomes and celebrates all of its residents. We work together to help first-year students find their place and become confident in the experiences they choose. We provide a supportive, safe space for students to build a community home away from home, with friendship and fun.
Because our students are in a wide variety of academic colleges and majors, being part of the community is a great way to network and explore different interests.
No! Thrive doesn’t require a particular class. You’ll have other opportunities to spend time with and get to know the other members of the community, though. (See “What can I expect?” above.)