Global Fellow in Residence Program
The application process for Fall 2023 has closed. We are currently accepting applications for Spring 2024 and Fall 2025.
To enhance student learning from globally-oriented visitors, Mozaiko, Virginia Tech’s global living-learning community, offers a complementary apartment to Virginia Tech departments. We invite departments to host visiting scholars, artists, industry professionals, staff, and lecturers to serve as a Global Fellow in Residence (GFIR). Designed as a short-term residency experience, Mozaiko will provide a complementary, fully-furnished, one-bedroom apartment in Harper Hall, the home of Mozaiko, for up to 2-weeks*. We are reviewing applications on rolling basis. Please make sure you submit your application at least three months before anticipated arrival date to ensure successful completion of background check.
To apply, please see the Global Fellow in Residence Application.
* Durations that are longer than 2-weeks will be considered only if there are no competing applications during that time period.
- The applying department will act as the official host for the Global Fellow in Residence with the university which includes working with the International Support Services office to ensure proper immigration/visa procedures occur.
- The Global Fellow in Residence program operates during fall and spring semesters only. The Virginia Tech Academic Calendar can be viewed here.
- Each GFIR candidate must complete a criminal background check. Processing times vary between 10 days and six months. We advise departments to plan ahead. No booking will be confirmed without an approved background check. See below for a list of the countries from whom we cannot obtain court records for a background check.** Individuals residing in the countries listed below are not eligible for the GFIR program.
- Housekeeping is provided.
- Each Global Fellow in Residence must hold a global and/or intercultural oriented informal Fireside Chat event that is open to Mozaiko students and offer an opportunity for Mozaiko students to join them for a meal on campus. Global Fellow in Residence may also provide opportunities for workshops and presentations that are open to students if time permits in their schedules.
- Under no circumstances are students permitted in the GFIR apartment.
- Apartment allows each Global Fellow in Residence to bring one additional guest (e.g., a spouse, a partner, a child).
** At this time, we are unable to obtain court records from the following countries, which means we are unable to conduct a background check. Because of this, individuals residing in the countries listed below are not eligible for the GFIR program. If a foreign national from one of the below countries is living in the U.S., we may be able to pull information from the U.S. courts.
Ascension Islands, Belep Archipelago, Chesterfield Islands, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Faroe Islands, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Uruguay, Wake Island, Zimbabwe