Global Fellow in Residence Program
To enhance student learning from globally-oriented visitors, Mozaiko, Virginia Tech’s global living-learning community, offers a complementary apartment to Virginia Tech departments. We invite departments to host visiting scholars, artists, industry professionals, staff, and lecturers to serve as a Global Fellow in Residence (GFIR). Designed as a short-term residency experience, Mozaiko will provide a complementary, fully-furnished, one-bedroom apartment in Harper Hall, the home of Mozaiko, for up to 4-weeks*.
To apply, please see the Global Fellow in Residence Application.
* Durations that are longer than 4-weeks will be considered only if there are no competing applications during that time period.
- The applying department will act as the official host for the Global Fellow in Residence with the university which includes working with the International Support Services office to ensure proper immigration/visa procedures occur.
- The Global Fellow in Residence program operates during fall and spring semesters only. The Virginia Tech Academic Calendar can be viewed here.
- Each GFIR candidate must complete a criminal background check. Processing times vary between 10 days and six months. We advise departments to plan ahead. No booking will be confirmed without an approved background check. See below for a list of the countries from whom we cannot obtain court records for a background check.** Individuals residing in the countries listed below are not eligible for the GFIR program.
- Housekeeping is provided.
- Each Global Fellow in Residence must hold a global and/or intercultural oriented public event, workshop, or presentation that is open to students.
- Under no circumstances are students permitted in the GFIR apartment.
** At this time, we are unable to obtain court records from the following countries, which means we are unable to conduct a background check. Because of this, individuals residing in the countries listed below are not eligible for the GFIR program. If a foreign national from one of the below countries is living in the U.S., we may be able to pull information from the U.S. courts.
Ascension Islands, Belep Archipelago, Chesterfield Islands, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Faroe Islands, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, Uruguay, Wake Island, Zimbabwe